Monday, July 19, 2010

Rastaman Goodyear Blowout...


I had just finished a successful 2 day show in Mukonago, WI. called
"Maxwell Street Days". It's an upscale flea market that I do four
times/summer...It's about 1 1/2 hours drive to Rockford from Mukwonago, and I was looking forward to a shower and a hot dinner when I got home.

However, driving back yesterday (Sunday), during the early evening hours, the hot pavement of the Interstate and my weighted-down van combined and shredded--and I mean shredded--my drivers' side rear tire.

It very much resembled a Rasta Man.

I was on Interstate 43, heading south, when it happened. Felt like I had been hit by an artillery shell. Talk about Rastaman Vibrations...I hobbled off the freeway, probably driving on the rim of my wheel a few miles to Clinton, WI., a small farm-town near the IL/WI border.

I ultimately had to have the vehicle towed to Sears in Cherry Valley, IL. (just a few blocks from my home in Rockford) which was
actually open that night on a late night, special promotion, Sunday.
This was about 9pm ...expensive ordeal (towing alone was
$150)... but I'm insured. It added about 4 1/2 hours to my workday, getting home at 10:30 pm. (After a 6am start)

What's amazing is that while I was waiting in this small farm town the 2 hours for the tow truck, no less than 7 people and one cop stopped by and asked if I needed any assistance. People offered to come back and bring their tools, or call the local Mechanic in town...even though it was probably his one day off; one lady stopped by and asked if I was hungry,as she had just finished eating and had leftovers. The cop was especially helpful offering all kinds of assistance, as well.

It really was pretty comforting. Their generosity sure made a total
drama a little more tolerable and a real experience. This was the
Heartlands at its best.

I think people like those are certainly part of the reason I decided to move back to the Midwest...'cause it sure wasn't the love of the winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home