Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Maui


For the past month I have immensely enjoyed myself returning to our old home on the Wailuku side of Maui.

I spent most of my time seeing old friends. I lived here from 1986-1997 and, of my very closest friends at that time, all are still here. I was the only one willing to give up this paradise and return to the mainland.

Not relating to the tourist scene, whatsoever, I balked at going to the Whale Watch but instead--more true to character-- bought a bunch of bar stuff from a restaurant that was closing in Wailuku and sold the majority of it at the local swap meet the following week....I also encountered some old acquaintances and familiar faces there, who were sure suprised to see me selling there after all these years.

Because the swap meet on Maui is where I got my start in business in 1986 when I took a van load of New Guinea artifacts there...and the rest is history.

Despite the 130,000 people, Maui is still a small community. If you live here for any length of time you see the same people over and over; as a result, when they don't see you for--in my case-- 12 years, it's a big deal...and a time to renew friendships.

This trip, I've acquired a lot of aloha shirts, CDs and books, as inventory for my business on the mainland and will be shipping them out shortly.

But...now, the other side of the coin...everything's so expensive here, it somewhat intimidates me. A family of 3 or more had better bring a ton of money with, to survive here. Local residents just simply learn to do without. And the island is so crowded, you'd never know we were recently in recession. Somebody's got money...

I enjoyed the small-time, sleepy, tropical atmosphere that prevailed when I arrived in 1986. Roads between towns, here, were like country roads on the mainland. Then the building started...now, there's so much development bringing so much traffic that it's uncomfortable driving around. It really is a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home