Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Paradise Rediscovered






Ah...the return to Maui after so many years on the mainland. The embracing tropical humidity on my skin, noticed just a few steps off the plane and the pungent smell of the tropics that I remember, oh, so well...Yep, this is not a dream...I'm really here...on Maui once again.

I first came to Maui in 1986, just after our band "The Sharks" had completed it's tour of Japan, Okinawa, the Phillipines and Guam. We supported ourselves by reforming the band and playing local clubs, parties and weddings. Then I opened my store "Traders of the Lost Art" in old Wailuku town. I brought in statues from New Guinea, Africa and Oceania. A number of months each year I traveled abroad, collecting inventory for the store. Rent, then, was only $150/month so I could easily close up for 3 or 4 months and go off on an adventure.
Ultimately we rented, then eventually bought, the home we refer to as Kaiko'o Palms. Former Sharks' bass player, Jeff Reiss, is still the present owner. It was built in the 40's and is a typical "H" pattern with the living room being in the center. In every aspect it is the quintessential Hawaiian home. It's in an area known as Paukukalo, originally taro fields, on the northeast side of the island

Initially, I went overboard with vegetation--planting coconut, banana, and papaya trees that soon engulfed the premesis with a tropical ambience almost the way a tropical set director would do. As my template, I tried to copy the movie "Swiss Family Robinson". I had no concept on just how fast plants grow on Maui and soon we had a veritable jungle on our hands. Now the banana trees are mostly gone, only some token papayas remain and the coconut trees are simply too tall and will ultimately have to be cut down.
Yet the charm of the place remains and the yard is still a verdant green.
In one corner of the back yard, wearing gray with red trim, is our African Gray parrot, "Nipper". He's been a fixture here for 20 years or more. At one time, we boasted his 52 phrase vocabulary. Still the house mascot and an integral member of the team here, his vocaublary has dwindled a bit since my leaving. But I'm pumping him daily with the old phrases and soon should have him up to scratch.

I plan to renew many old friendships...probably over drinks and dinners...maybe even play a little guitar together. But my ultimate goal, while on Maui, is to do nothing... I have to work so hard on the mainland to make that happen. Never really have a free second back there. Here, it's an easy option and the the preferred choice of many.

So on the agenda are: naps galore, books to read and biography to edit. I'll be as happy as a clam.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home