Thursday, April 14, 2005

Home Again in Rockford, Illinois


It seems like I've been on the road forever, and, I must admit, when the bus that took me from O'Hare to Rockford passed the Elgin plaza on the tollway and the expanse of green fields and surrounding farms came into view, I felt that I truly was home again and it certainly felt good!

But returning to a home, deserted for four months does not come without problems. I had to re-connect everything from the phone to cable tv to garbage service. I even had my partner Nick help me replace a pipe under the sink that sprung a big hole the day I left last December. Also an incredible number of light bulbs have burned out when I started using the lights again.

I immediately had to go to the DMV to get a new driver's license to replace the one stolen in Phenom Penh and got my insurance reinstated on my vehicles.

I've been around visiting old friends and colleagues, telling them of my adventures. It's spring in Illinois and the weather has been oh so pleasant in the high 60's. I took special pleasure in watching the Cubs on tv and just being HOME. No more planes to catch at zero-dark thirty in the morning. And, of course, everyone speaks English around here.

The antiques that I put in winter storage at the antique mall sold only reasonably well but I think I'll keep the place for a while. The pieces that I acquired in S.E. Asia all sold while I was on Maui so there was not much to add to my inventory. I've got one of my biggest shows to do in mid-May in neighboring Pecatonica so I've got lots to do to prepare for that one.

I'm considering taking on a summer job to keep me busy during the weekdays but still undecided about that one at present. Right now I'm enjoying just being home again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home